Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ten reasons for why I love Chennai

I love Chennai for the following reasons:

1.Chennai has the willingness to spread out further rather than being just a multi-storey concrete jungle.

2.One of the charming features of Chennai is its allegiance to ancient tradition no matter how modernized the makeover might be. The dakshin chitra a living museum of art, architecture of south India. One can witness folks performing cultural dances and interact with them to get to know the nuances of craftwork

3.The marina beach is my all time favorite. Joggers at dawn.... Family groups dipping their feet in the waves every evening…Children squealing with delight as they ride horseback…the swirling beam of the lighthouse at night… Lantern-lit shops selling trinkets, shells and fast-food. That is what makes Marina beach more than a mere reprieve from the city's heat.

4.The eat-outs in Chennai is ambience rich and no single eat out is equal, definitely unique! I enjoy a wholesome hygienic meal for as little as 20 or splurge to as high as a few thousands (you can be stingy or swanky!!). Not only that I can relish a variety of cuisines that lingers my mouth. When I crave for south Indian food I step into Saravana Bhavan or Sangeethas… when my mouth waters for Italian dishes …. There is always Casa Piccola or Little Italy….. My favor for Chinese flavour is Chin Chin

5.“So wassup for the week end?” is a chennaiite’s Friday syndrome (I am bonkers about it).I escape to mahabs … or steer to Pondicherry …… or my friends pull me to phuliket …. ….weekends is some thing I wait for!!

6.Chennai is one of the busiest cities in Tamil Nadu. Chennai is a home to a growing number of IT parks, financial companies and call centers. My corporate jargons are ASAP, FYI, REVERT. Where my aspirations are as high as sky high structures .Work is my start menu, I log out laziness!! Women in Chennai balance work- life and home life.

7.The place is always active. The city is always buzzing with some interesting activities. There might be a music concert on one day and a job fair on the other. There was a music concert by A R Rahman recently. Once I entered a dog show. The show had competitions for a variety of dogs. The are a number of malls for the most favorite activity of many – Window shopping

8.December is generally the music season which features performances of traditional carnatic music by hundreds of artist in and around the city. It is an amazing initiative for music lover. Melodious songs sung with dedication are reached to very corner of the city. It is an important center for bharatnatyam. (I’m interested in bharatnatyam) .

9.Chennai is also a centre for quality education. The students of Chennai as exposed to a variety inter & intra school competition. The IIT & Anna University are two well known centers of engineering education.

10.One more reason I like Chennai is I get to see a lot of celebrities and interact with them. Tamil film industry, kollywood is based in Chennai.


“A city that still retains the charm, culture and courtesies of the ages”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Chennai too. Have you been to the newest cool joint in Chennai?? Its called 36 Degrees and it sounds like gr8 fun!